CHAIRPERSON’S ADDRESS: PRESENTED AT THE AGM, 1 Dec 2012
I enjoy preparing the Chairperson’s address for the AGM, because it gives me a chance to reflect on all the hard work we’ve done over the preceding year, and assess the priorities for the coming year.
Releases: 32 juveniles released at Twin Swamps, for the last time at this location. Hopefully by next July the ARC Linkage project may have some alternative sites earmarked. A European TV crew filmed the release and interviewed several members as part of a program on Gerald Kuchling.
Education and Displays:
- CREEC Science week display
- Australian Wetlands Conference display and presentation
- Presentation to Upper Swan Primary School (after displaying at their fete last year, they invited us back to speak to a class)
- Baldivis Children’s Forest guest speaker
- Display at Henderson Centre for Spring Fling open days
- Display and interaction at Anzac Fete with Ellenbrook Scouts
- Presentation to 4 classes at Mirrabooka Primary School
- Various articles in newspapers, magazines and newsletters.
Already booked for 2013:
Display at Wetlands Conference
Presentation to the Friends of Kings Park
Presentation to the Ellenbrook Garden Club
Edgecombe Bros luncheon
Margaret River Choc Factory launch of ‘Swampy’ chocolate
Other money matters – the success of the grant by DEC means that 2013 will see a welcome return to planting and habitat events, as well as various other projects to raise the profile of the Western Swamp Tortoise.
We are members of -
- Conservation Council
- Urban Bushland Council
- Western Australian Wildlife Rehabilitation Council Inc
- Turtle Oblonga Rescue and Rehabilitation Network
- Tiaro Landcare conserving the endangered Mary River Turtle
Other members of the group are involved with various other environmental groups, so FoWST supports many other like-minded conservationists.
Thank you to all members who helped in one capacity or another this year, especially the tireless committee and to WWF for allowing us to use Panda Cottage for our meetings.